BREAKING: Board of Trustees ratifies faculty union contract

The CSU Board of Trustees ratified a contract agreement between the CSU and the California Faculty Association (CFA) at their meeting Tuesday at the Chancellor’s Office in Long Beach.

The contract will run through June 30, 2014. In addition, the CFA’s threat to strike is set to withdraw, bringing a close to the collective bargaining process between the two sides.

However, the agreement is still on rocky ground. CFA capitol chapter president Kevin Wehr said the collective bargaining agreement is only a short-term solution and when the contract expires in two years, they will have to come up with another one.

“It’s not a perfect contract, but it is a fair contract,” Wehr said. “And in these economic times, it is the best contract we could bargain for.”

The contract, Wehr said, does not address any broad-based compensation increases or workload issues, and compensation increases, he added, are “just not in the cards.”

About David Hood

David Hood is a newspaper and print design enthusiast. He is proud to be the co-winner of the National Scholastic Press Association’s 2008 Design of the Year Award for Newspaper Design for his high school newspaper, Crimson, in Paso Robles, Calif. After serving the Daily Titan as a Layout Editor, he traveled to Washington, D.C. to the Washington Journalism Center where he interned as a business reporter at The Washington Times and garnered 20 bylines, four on its front page. He hopes to rekindle people’s interest in news for better public discourse and understanding.