Bay Area provides better SoCal alternative

Vanessa Martinez/ Daily Titan

With the weather in Southern California reaching triple-digit numbers, doesn’t temperature in the 60s sound nice?

Northern California offers the community and its visitors more than just fresh air. The Northern California area of Berkeley and San Francisco presents tourists with historical buildings, sites of interest and food exclusive to the neighborhood.

Berkeley, Calif., located east of San Francisco and the bay area, is a city best known for its weather, unique food choices and the beautiful architecture of the University of California, Berkeley, said San Fernando Valley native Scarlet Cummings.

Cummings, 18, a freshman at UC Berkeley, studying landscape architecture and film and media studies, describes Berkeley as unique.

Berkeley offers a wide variety of food choices, but Cummings suggests visiting Sun Hong Kong, an inexpensive Chinese food restaurant  a few blocks from the university.

“They have really goo  d chicken-fried rice,” said Cummings. “You get a big plate of it for only five bucks. You’ll have enough to eat for two days after.”

Cummings said the city is smaller than the Southern Californian cities she’s used to, but is really accessible.

“It’s easy to navigate, which is good for a college student,” she said.

Ada Lin, 20, an undeclared student at UC Berkeley, said that although she has lived in Sacramento her entire life before moving near the university, she has heard about the differences between the two cities from others. One of the differences she heard is that people tend to be calmer up north.

“I’ve heard that in NorCal, the weather’s really nice and the water’s good,” Lin said. “You can drink tap water and I heard you can’t do that in SoCal.”

San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge and the beaches are certainly places tourists would be interested in visiting, Lin said.

“I like the fact that you can drive for a few hours and then you can see mountains and stuff, and be completely away from cities,” Lin said.

She said hiking there or going up on the campanile at UC Berkeley also allows visitors to enjoy the sight of the city and its lights.

However, she said, the beaches in the bay area are not as fun as the beaches SoCal is known for, because they’re cold and not very sandy.

Although some may enjoy the weather in Northern California, others, like Orange County native Riley Yang, 20, a math and economics major at UC Berkeley, said the weather is something he dislikes about the city.

“I like SoCal better,” said Yang. “I’m from there and I like the weather better, it’s nicer than here. Here is OK during the summer, but it gets kind of bad during the fall.”

Caitlin Stark, a 19-year-old classical archeology major at San Francisco State University, said moving up north from Brea, Calif. has made her more environmentally-conscious.

“Now I don’t really eat a lot of meat, where at home I used to eat a lot of meat,” Stark said. “Now, I care more about the environment. I just care more about recycling and where my water comes from and how what I eat affects my body.”

The music scene in Northern California is well-known and music lovers like Cummings enjoy visiting Amoeba Music store for its $1 records.

“If you have a record player, that’s the place to be,” Cummings said.

Traveling to and from Northern California on Interstate 5 is nearly a 7-hour long ride, with not much but a couple of horses and cows to see along the way.

About Vanessa Martinez