Playmate hops on campus

Courtesy of Playboy

Every month, women across the country compete for the prestigious title of Playboy’s Playmate of the Month — and one of Cal State Fullerton’s own was named.

Nicole Farnam, 23, a sociology major, was awarded the title of Miss May 2012. A Playmate is a female model featured in the centerfold of Playboy magazine as Playmate of the Month. The Playmate of the Month’s pictorial includes nude photographs, a centerfold poster and a short biography along with the “Playmate Data Sheet,” which lists her birth date, measurements, turn-ons and turn-offs.

Farman said that posing for playboy was a dream come true for her, and she always knew that she would someday have the opportunity to do so.

“As a 13-year-old, I would get a hold of my dad’s Playboy magazines and thought the women were just stunning. I remember telling my dad that I would one day be a Playmate, and I believe he just brushed me off when I said it,” said Farnam.

Now that she is Miss May, her mom and dad are not only proud of her accomplishment, but shocked that she was able to obtain the position while being an honor student at CSUF, she said.

“My family is very excited for me. I’ve always been a really good student and, in fact, I’m graduating with honors this May. My mom is extremely proud and a bit jealous; she is funny. Since I’ve shown her my picture she has been on a diet and working out … She has developed a competition between the two of us,” she said.

Students are also impressed with Farnam’s ability to maintain good grades while holding the Miss May title.

“I had a class with Nikki. She always seemed to be a very hard worker. I think it’s great that someone so beautiful is able to obtain such a role. Miss May is a pretty big thing, and she is still able to get good grades — that’s pretty impressive,” said Lance Convento, 26, a kinesiology major.

Now that Farnam has conquered her goal of becoming one of Playboy’s Playmates, she describes her experience as an enjoyable one. She said she also connects very well with the crew.

“What really surprised me was how much work it was and how much of a workout it was. I remember after my first day of shooting the centerfold I could barely move the next day,” Farnam said.

Another perk that came with being Miss May was actually meeting Hugh Hefner and hanging out at the Playboy Mansion.

“Of course one of the first things he said was ‘congratulations,’ but my first thoughts were about how I felt he was nice, and he really does love his ladies,” Farnam said.

Farnam was taken by the Playboy Mansion with its beauty and lively atmosphere, but the best part is the kitchen. “There are chefs and butlers on call 24/7. Whatever you want at whatever time you want it, you got it. And I love to eat, so the kitchen really knows me,” she said.

But centerfolds, meetings with Hefner and trips to the mansion are not the end of Farnam’s journey to Playboy success.

“Nikki is smart, gregarious and fun, and always full of energy. The future has great things in store for Nikki, and I see her having a very successful career with Playboy,” said Theresa M. Hennessey, vice president of public relations for Playboy Enterprises, Inc.

Farnam’s title of Miss May 2012 has managed to open up doors to many other opportunities and could possibly lead to the title of Playmate of the Year.

About Ajai Spellman