A cure for nomophobia: Do we have an app for that?

I’ll be the first to admit, there have been times when I have gotten ready for school, work or wherever it may be, and as I’m getting things together and walking out the door, I check my purse, pat my pockets and walk right back into the house. I forgot the most important thing — my cellphone.

Then there are those other times, when I actually do forget my phone at home while I’m out.

Yes, some people couldn’t care less about their phones and carry on with life without one in their hand. But most of us freak out and we normally say, “Oh my gosh, I feel completely naked without my phone,” or, “This is too weird for me … I need my phone!”

The almighty cellphone has become an extension of who we are.

There is a phobia name for this obsession some of us have about our mobile devices (whether we want to admit it or not). The phobia is called nomophobia, and it basically means the fear of being without your cellphone.

In an article from the Los Angeles Times, the headline “Nomophobia — fear of being without your phone — is on the rise,” rings true, according to an online survey.

Of the 1,000 people surveyed in the United Kingdom, 66 percent said they feared being without their phone. Young adults 18-24 years old tend to be the most addicted to their mobile phones at 77 percent, and people 25-34 years old followed with 68 percent.

Cellphones, mobile devices or whatever you want to call them, have changed drastically over the years.

Our mobile phones have become a mini portable computer — we can talk for hours, check our mail and weather, play games, edit documents, go on Facebook and Twitter, walkie-talkie friends, take pictures and download any application you can think of. When we are expecting a call or planning to make one, our phones are the fastest way of getting in touch with someone. And of course, we can text like crazy, too.

Phones can do just about anything, and it all boils down to convenience.

I will agree that some people overdo it with their phone. They’re constantly texting and checking their phone every 10 seconds to see if they missed a message. They’re constantly pulling their phone out to amuse themselves during lecture or while they walk to class.

There is also a theory that some people can be addicted to their cellphones for the simple reason of being insecure — they use their phone as a way of comfort. Instead of socializing with others or happily accepting fliers from Titan Walk solicitors, out comes the phone and the person “looks busy” by just fiddling with it.

We have become too attached to our mobile devices. Cellphones and the technology it brings with them has made us become more dependant on how to run our lives and how much of our lives we should put into our phones, such as important documents, access to email, special pictures, online banking, etc.

We don’t just use them for basic needs anymore. When we leave it somewhere or lose it, our world comes to an end. We can’t see beyond the fact that we don’t physically have it on us.

Cellphones are going to just become more and more advanced and as consumers we’re going to want the best we can afford. Therefore, with so much more mobile technology in the future for us to make our lives easier and more convenient, we will probably always somewhat be addicted to mobile technology.

We complain that life isn’t easy enough, and if something can make our lives simpler with something such as a smartphone, we invest in it. At the same time, we criticize the fact that we can’t stand it that our emails are constantly going off or that our phone won’t stop ringing.

At the risk of sounding corny, I guess you would say it’s a double-edged Razr.

About Maegan Castro-Flores