Suspect Pleads Guilty to Murder

Christopher Michael McAmis, 32, pleaded guilty to strangling and killing 20-year-old Fullerton College student Lynsie Ekelund during an attempted rape more than a decade ago. His plea took place at Los Angeles Superior Court Monday. As a result, McAmis will serve a sentence of 15 years to life in prison.
The murder happened in 2001 at McAmis’ Whittier apartment. Nancy and Stewart Ekelund, the victim’s parents, made an impact statement in court.
McAmis confessed to strangling Ekelund after she rejected his sexual advances. He also told investigators that he buried her body in a remote area of Santa Clarita Calif. and led them to the site after his arrest on Oct. 27, 2010.
Ekelund was reported missing by her mother after she did not make it home from a San Diego trip with her friends on Feb. 16, 2001. The disappearance was considered unsolved until 2010, when new evidence was used to arrest McAmis.

To read the full story, click here.

About Justin Enriquez

Outside of being a rockstar, Justin Enriquez did not know what he wanted to do with his life until journalism came along. It was when he found journalism did he realize his true passion in life. Now years later, he finds himself just months away from graduation and is primed and ready to stake his claim on the sports journalism field. Enriquez has served an entire school-year term as Sports Editor in Mt. San Antonio College’s newspaper The Mountaineer and is currently serving his second semester as the Daily Titan Sports Editor. His interests include basketball, mixed martial arts, music, and clothing. His dream job is to work for ESPN, but is always willing to explore other options as he has always been proud of how he can adapt to writing for any other section of the newspaper.