Netflix supports piracy fight

After initial reports, Netflix issued a statement saying that neither SOPA nor PIPA is behind their formation of the PAC, according to Forbes. [Update 4/12/2012 at 12:21 a.m.]

Movie-streaming website Netflix has officially joined supporters of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) by forming its own super political action committee (super PAC), according to Russia Today.

Despite Hollywood and record industry support, SOPA failed to pass in Congress in both the House and the Senate, and now Netflix, the leader in legal movie streaming, is helping out by forming its super PAC, appropriately called FLIXPAC.

After the defeat of SOPA and PIPA, Congress has been trying various options that are supposed to be the solution to online piracy if they are passed.

While the latest SOPA-substituting legislation has already been authored and sent through Congress, with Netflix backing it, it could mean that President Barack Obama could sign it.

One of the newest bills is the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), which was proposed under the guise of legislation that’s supposed to implement federal protection from foreign and domestic cyber attacks.

Massive online campaigns are what stopped SOPA and PIPA and that was the last time similar legislation came close to passing.

To read the full story, click here.

About Richard Anderson