Enrollment spikes across the street

Allan Xu / Daily Titan

While the turmoil within the California State University is affecting Cal State Fullerton’s enrollment rates, across the street at Hope International University (HIU), a private college, there is another story with thriving numbers.

According to The Orange County Register, the CSU faces more cuts if Gov. Jerry Brown’s November tax hikes fail.

CSU officials reported an enrollment freeze would contend with a possible $200-million cut to CSU if the tax hike isn’t passed.

The ballot proposal would raise the taxes on the wealthy, as well as the state’s sales tax. It would help end more cuts to schools and protect education, Brown said.

“If Gov. Brown’s tax hike does not get voted in, the CSU will get a $20 million additional cut,” said Nancy Dority, assistant vice president of Enrollment Services in an email. “That will mean that we can take fewer students at all levels because the state’s contribution to educating students will be $20 million less across the CSU. That will impact the numbers of students to whom admission may be offered.”

According to a press release, HIU saw an increase in enrollment by 35 percent, to 1,505 students, with 391 more students enrolling in spring 2012 than spring 2011.

This is the first time in HIU’s 85-year history that 1,500 students are enrolled.

“Our enrollment has been steadily increasing over the past few years,” said Katie Gladding, director of marketing at HIU, in an email.

There are a number of things that caused the steep jump in enrollment this semester, Gladding said.

“The university has undergone substantial positive changes in the past year in particular, including four new vice presidents providing strong leadership for the university, an internal restructure resulting in a five-college structure, and a renewed campus-wide emphasis on four qualities — efficiency, quality, innovation and responsiveness,” Gladding said.

Butch Ellis, director of undergraduate admissions at HIU, said the increase is caused by an increase in awareness.

“The word is getting out that we offer a very unique educational experience,” he said by email. “It’s highly personalized. That’s something you don’t find at every university, and it’s something that we believe students can really benefit from.”

The main source of enrolled students comes from referrals from past and current students, according to the press release.

“This is because the students who come here have an unforgettable, life-changing experience that they want to share with their loved ones,” Gladding said. “We consider it a huge honor that our current students and alumni are referring us to their networks. We do considerable surveys to find out what our students and alumni think about all aspects of the university and continually adjust our offerings accordingly.”

However, referrals aren’t the only way the school finds students to enroll.

“We receive prospective students from a number of sources including recruitment strategies, events, advertising and more,” Ellis said. “Of the many campaigns we employ to recruit students, the number one source is referrals.”

Like Titans at CSUF, students who apply to HIU can apply for state and federal financial aid.
“Hope International University offers excellent financial aid packages to our students,” Ellis said. “Students can apply their federal and state funding to their education at Hope.”
HIU also has its own scholarships.

“We also offer academic scholarships, which range from $9,000 to our Presidential Scholarship of $15,000 per year,” Ellis said. “These scholarships, along with federal and state aid can make the education at a private Christian university very affordable at HIU.”
Ellis said HIU students do not have a problem getting into the classes they need to graduate on time, resulting in “considerable financial savings.”

About Richard Anderson