Christianity under attack

There’s a war currently being fought in the United States. It’s not being fought with guns or with fists. This war is being fought with the pen. It is being fought in the name of tolerance. This is a war on Christians.

I know you’re thinking I’m just another crackpot Christian with a so-called persecution complex.

You’re most likely thinking, “Christianity is the least persecuted religion in the world, so why bother?”

Probably because in the U.S., atheists try to strip Christians of their rights on what seems like a daily basis.

There are people who want to remove the national motto “In God We Trust” from the nation’s currency. According to Christian Broadcasting Network News, Michael Newdow, a big proponent of the separation of church and state, tried to challenge the motto in the courts, but the Supreme Court of the United States refused to hear the case.

Surprisingly, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, a liberal court that tends to rule in favor of atheists, had earlier ruled against Newdow, which is why he appealed to the Supreme Court in the first place.

Newdow also has won and lost court battles against the Pledge of Allegiance. He wants it banned from schools because it contains the words “under God.” He claims that because the pledge contains those words it is an unconstitutional violation of the establishment clause in the First Amendment, and atheist children are supposedly being “forced” to recite it.

However, in a 2010 article published by the Los Angeles Times and a more recent one published by The Atlantic, atheist children are actually free to not participate in reciting the pledge. According to The Atlantic, the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals in Massachusetts rejected claims that the inclusion of “under God” violates the 14th Amendment equality rights of nontheists, as well as the establishment clause in the First Amendment.

The American Humanist Association countered the decision by mounting a state constitutional challenge to the pledge in the state court. The AHA is helping an anonymous couple (called John and Jane Doe) and their three children because any mention of God in the pledge supposedly violates the guarantee of equality in the state constitution.

This means, according to Newdow and the “Doe” family, that by having the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance and “forcing” atheists to recite it, believers are being intolerant of the fact that not everyone believes in God. This creates a paradoxical situation, because by constantly demanding that the pledge be banned in the public school system, they are actually being intolerant of those of us who do believe in God.

This is why it is impossible to have total and complete separation of church and state.

By banning the pledge from schools because of its words, are they not taking away the rights of Christians or even those who don’t mind reciting it?
Don’t get me wrong, I actually support a separation of church and state.

Without it, we’d end up with someone forcing his or her religious beliefs on the masses and our country could become a theocratic dictatorship.

There are other instances where the war on Christians continues, such as in the public school system in the U.S.

We are force-fed evolution and if we don’t allow educators to teach it to us, we don’t graduate from high school. I see nothing wrong with allowing us to opt out of it. They can give us creationism classes and let that count toward science credits.

Vanderbilt University has also been under attack. Catholic student organization Vandy Catholic chose to not register at the school because of its discriminatory nondiscrimination policy, which forces student religious organizations to allow those who don’t share the same faith to become leaders. Until last year, religious organizations were exempt. If a Christian group were to elect an atheist, it would undermine the fact that the group is supposed to be faith-based.

On March 24, there was an atheist rally called the Reason Rally in Washington, D.C. It was headlined by high-profile atheists such as Richard Dawkins, who wrote The God Delusion. Jessica Ahlquist, who won a lawsuit recently that forced her school to take down a prayer banner that had been up for decades that began with the words “Our Heavenly Father,” was also a speaker.

While David Silverman, the rally’s head organizer, said there would be no religion-bashing before the event, there were several cases where members actually did denounce religion. Taslima Nasrin, author of Shame, referred to Muslim prophet Muhammad as a charlatan, a pedophile and a rapist at the event, according to CNN.

Participants also constructed a wooden cross in the middle of the crowd. A sign that read “Banish the 10 Commandments to the dustbin of history” was hung from the cross.

People say they want religious tolerance, yet they mock those of us with a religious background. They try to strip us of our freedom of religion. Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they don’t. However, whether they want to admit it or not, the war on Christians wages on.

About Richard Anderson