Partnerships across the street benefit CSUF students

For many years, partnerships with nearby colleges have provided assorted amenities to Cal State Fullerton students within walking distance of campus.

Courtesy of Southern California College of Optometry

For more than 15 years, the Student Health and Counseling Center has collaborated with the Southern California College of Optometry (SCCO), located on Yorba Linda Boulevard and Associated Road.

SCCO offers CSUF students discounted eye exams for disease and vision correction.

“The CSUF students receive on-site, convenient, affordable optometry services, and SCCO receives valuable training for their optometry interns,” said Kathy Spofford, Student Health and Counseling Center associate director. “Optometry treatment is also available at SCCO at the same discounted rate as they would receive at the Student Health and Counseling Center.”

There has been a good participation response from CSUF students using SCCO services.

“The services provided at the CSUF Health Center include yearly eye exams for glasses, red eye and minor eye health examinations, and spectacle prescriptions,” said Debra J. Marks, M.A., SCCO director of communications. “SCCO Assistant Professor John Lee, O.D., and SCCO optometric interns are currently on campus from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesdays. In addition to Tuesday appointments on the CSUF campus, SCCO extends the 50 percent discount on services and 20 percent discount on materials at its Eye Care Center.”

Similarly to SCCO, Hope International University (HIU) on Nutwood Avenue has been in collaboration with CSUF for a long time.

HIU is a private, Christian institution whose mission is to empower students through Christian higher education to serve the church and impact the world of Christ, according to the university website.

“The partnership between HIU and CSUF allows for the students at both institutions to interact, discuss and learn together,” said Natalie Hewitt, HIU College of Arts and Sciences assistant professor. “The close proximity of the two schools allows for a diverse educational experience and the relationship between both universities plays a role in Fullerton’s success as a living, learning community.”

Right across State College Boulevard is the American Bar Association accredited school, Western State College of Law (WSU). It is a specialized institution that emphasizes in preparing pre-law students as candidates for law practice.

The Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement is an agreement between CSUF and WSU that allows CSUF students who are engaged in legal research to borrow materials from its library if they have received a written letter from a librarian at the CSUF library, said James Krusling, WSU Law Library associate director. When the letter is presented to the WSU librarian, the CSUF student is provided assistance.

“While our partnership with CSUF is very limited due to our core obligation to the Juris Doctor candidates on our campus, it still benefits both schools by demonstrating that institutions of higher learning can creatively work together to foster scholarship to the wider community, even when core missions differ,” said Krusling.

Since WSU is a law school, the emphasis on the study of law is the only special difference between CSUF and WSU. WSU does not provide undergraduate education like CSUF.

“CSUF will always be a suitable partner … Our hope is that many students who interact with our institution, or simply realize that we exist nearby, will be encouraged to think of law as a career and will eventually study at our school,” Krusling said. “I am not sure of the number of CSUF students that have studied at WSU over the years, but there have surely been many.”

About Sheila Del Cid