Valentine’s Day: A holiday made specifically for your woman

The story of St. Valentine has been told for centuries now, but nowhere in this historic tale does it justify whether the romantic holiday is meant for men, women or simply both.

Valentine’s Day is a day that is celebrated all over the world. It is a day that involves sweet nothings whispered into the ears of lovers, cards that end with “from your dearest Valentine” and the delivery of rose bouquets and chocolate boxes. However, the argument of whom the holiday is targeted at has surfaced on numerous occasions.

People everywhere want to know whether Valentine’s Day is for the man or the woman. A survey given by Men’s Health and Women’s Health asked questions like, “Who is supposed to pay for Valentine’s Day?” A 40.3 percent vote led the poll with the answer being the guy should pay for it, 4 percent voted for the girl to pay, 24.8 percent suggested that the cost be split and 34.4 percent say whoever plans the night should pay.

Nevertheless, there are also many other things to consider when determining who the day is for. Things to mull over are what the meaning of the holiday is, who gets most excited for Feb. 14 and what gender Valentine’s Day products are geared towards.

First things first, what does the holiday mean? It’s about expressing to your significant other how much you love them, and doing it in a big way. When it comes to men and women, it is said that the woman is the more nurturing of the two. Throughout the year, the woman is the one who spends the most time being “lovey-dovey.” Valentine’s Day gives the man a chance to make up for those days spent only absorbing the love of their wives and girlfriends; it gives them a chance to return the love Feb. 14.

So who gets most excited about the holiday?

Because men don’t express their emotions often, since it is looked at by society as feminine, women are consumed with the joy and excitement that consists of them waiting for distinct, special things to take place on that day; things they have been waiting for all year. Valentine’s Day opens up the possibility for the man to say “I love you” for the first time, propose an engagement that will lead to marriage or ask the woman to move in with him. On the other hand, some women just want to be spoiled by their man with material things.

Last, but not least: Who are those fabulous items specifically created for? Corporations like Zales, See’s Candy, FTD and Hallmark rake in big bucks creating items geared towards women and designed for men to purchase.

The Zales commercials only showcase women receiving gifts that consist of diamond rings, earrings and necklaces for Valentine’s Day. Hallmark creates sayings on their cards that women adore, yet men see the same phrase as “mushy.” And, honestly, what man anticipates bouquets of flowers and boxes of chocolates Feb. 14?

The significance of Valentine’s Day is for couples to showcase their love towards one another. However, in this day and time, it seems as if it is created primarily for the man to platform his skills and abilities when it comes to courting his woman.

About Ajai Spellman