The Artist will show at 2,000 theaters

Fresh off its Academy Awards dominance, The Artist will be playing at twice the number of theaters it had been screened at last weekend, according to an article in TheWrap, an entertainment news website.

The number of theaters showing the movie will increase to 2,000 this weekend, up from 966 last weekend.

The Artist won three of the Oscarsโ€™ top prizes Sunday: Best Picture, Best Director (Michael Hazanavicius) and Best Actor (Jean Dujardin). It also won Best Costume Design and Best Original Score.

The silent, black-and-white film, distributed by the Weinstein Company, has made $31 million in theaters since its November release. It had a $15 million budget. The Weinstein Company also distributed The Kingโ€™s Speech, last yearโ€™s Best Picture winner.

“We’re going to give it the chance to get that big box-office bump that it can get from the Academy Award,” said Erik Lomis, the Weinstein Co.’s distribution president, to TheWrap.

The Oscar boost will likely give The Artist a $50 million theatrical run by the time it leaves theaters, according to TheWrap.

The Artist was the first silent film to win Best Picture since the first Academy Awards were held in 1929, according to The Envelope, a Los Angeles Times blog.

About Tim Worden

Tim is a senior journalism major at Cal State Fullerton and is serving his second semester as copy editor for the Daily Titan. He plans on becoming a reporter and copy editor after graduating in May. In his free time, he enjoys reading.