Tasting Jack in the Box’s Bacon Shake

Photo by Anibal Ortiz / Daily Titan

Jack in the Box knows America loves bacon. Why else would they come out with a bacon-flavored shake?

The Bacon Shake is one of Jack in the Box’s newest additions to the menu. A bacon-filled burger, the BLT Cheeseburger, was also added.

There are no actual pieces of bacon in the Bacon Shake, unlike Denny’s Maple Bacon Sundae which made its debut earlier last year.

With 1,081 calories and 54 grams of fat in one 24-ounce. shake, this thing had better taste amazing. Because obviously the more unhealthy something is, the better it tastes.

The eggnog-colored shake, which by the way was another shake on Jack in the Box’s menu, also comes in a 773-calorie, 40 grams of fat, 16-ounce. size.

So what does it taste like?

It tastes like bacon and ice cream. There really is no other way to describe it. Think of it as eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream and snacking on some hickory-smoked bacon at the same time. The only difference is that the chewing is, more or less, done for you.

The shake was so thick I almost passed out trying to get the first sip. When the first drop of the milk, vanilla ice cream and bacon syrup mixture hit my tongue I felt a chill go through my spine. Even after minutes of mental preparation, telling myself this isn’t going to be a normal-tasting shake, it still caught me by surprise.

Even as I sit here now, drinking it as I write, I’m struggling to come to a conclusion if I like the concoction or not. Maybe that’s just how they hook you – it tastes so weird and different that you just keep finding yourself with the straw in your mouth and a puzzled look on your face.

The flavor of bacon is strong; there is no doubt about that. But the expectation of having a salty-sweet drink was a shot down when only the smoky element of bacon came through in the shake.

An aftertaste of maple syrup is left behind in my mouth after every sip. But Jack in the Box doesn’t claim to put any sort of maple-syrup product into its new gimmick. “Made with real vanilla ice cream, bacon-flavored syrup, whipped topping and a maraschino cherry,” according to the website.

The Bacon Shake will only be around for a limited time and restaurants only have a limited amount of this swine-y dessert. Some locations are running out of the drink, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

I didn’t finish the drink and I probably wouldn’t buy it again. But I don’t regret trying it. If you’re curious about the shake, I’d say give it a try. It’s worth your $2.69 (16-ounce).

America’s love for bacon will never (hopefully) go unsatisfied and our fast food companies will continue to give it to us. With other bacon dishes already in existence, like bacon-wrapped hot dogs, bacon donuts and chocolate covered bacon, it’s only a matter of time until we see bacon-flavored breakfast cereal or bacon yogurt.

About Jaryd Lucero