Ice cold rocky mountain losing blues

The Cal State Fullerton hockey team had a rocky trip through Colorado this weekend, losing three games in three nights and pushing its losing streak to seven straight games.

Despite some optimism before the trip, the Titans knew it was a difficult task at hand and it certainly proved to be so, as Fullerton (1-7) was blown out in each of its road contests.

The Titans were welcomed to the beautiful Rocky Mountains with a 6-1 defeat to the Colorado State University Rams at Edora Pool Ice Center in Fort Collins.

Fullerton managed only 17 shots on goal in the loss and was 0-9 on the power play.

The Rams scored twice in the first two periods but the Titans cut the score in half just 30 seconds into the third period when Titan forward Alec Censullo scored his second goal of the season. Elan Dunaev was credited with the assist on the play.

But two minutes later, Kyle Levindofske was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for roughing. The Rams converted on the power play and followed that with three more goals in the third period to put the game well out of reach for Fullerton.

Friday night, the Titans again faced a tough opponent in the University of Colorado Buffaloes at the CU Ice Arena in Boulder. Fullerton was crushed 9-1.

The shots were again an issue. Titan goaltender Brandon Heethuis stopped 45 of the 54 shots he faced. Fullerton managed only 20 shots on goal.

Colorado got off to an early start, scoring twice in the first period. The second goal came with only 40 seconds left in the period.

Titan forward Anthony Webb helped put Fullerton on the board just five minutes into the second with his first goal of the season. But the Buffaloes regained their two-goal lead less than a minute later and there was no turning back for the Colorado offense.

The Buffaloes scored five goals in the third period to deal a crushing defeat to the Titans.

The Fullerton power play was blanked again, going 0-4 in the game.

University of Colorado captain Alex Lencioni led his team with a hat trick.

Saturday was not any easier for Fullerton. The Titans finished their trip in Greely, Colo., where they faced the University of Northern Colorado Bears.

The Bears mauled the Titans, beating them 10-3 at the Greely Ice Haus, to cap a rather forgetful road trip for Fullerton.

The Titans were outscored 25-5 during the three games in Colorado and home ice will be a welcoming sight when it comes.

However, Fullerton plays another four games on the road before returning to the chilly but cozy confines of the KHS Ice Arena in Anaheim.

Friday the Titans face off against San Diego State at the Kroc Center Ice Arena in San Diego. The following weekend Fullerton plays two games at Northern Arizona. Friday, Nov. 11, the Titans play Long Beach State at Glacial Gardens in Lakewood. The following night the team will return to home ice to face Loyola Marymount University at KHS Ice Arena.

Between now and then, the Titans are going to have to pick up some victories if they intend on staying in the race. It’s a long season, but time is becoming a factor.

About Sean Viele