How to stay awake during final exam week

Finals and midterm weeks are always the hardest weeks to stay awake.

With the Titan Student Union open 24 hours a day the week before and the week of finals, students can study and eat on campus.

Here are some ways to stay awake and energized during finals.

1. Flash cards in different colors: For studying purposes, make flash cards in order to cut out hours of studying. With different colors, your brain will be able to remember and focus on the material. They are portable and you will have access to them when you are at work or at home.

2. Peppermint: Peppermint actually awakens the brain, helps you focus better on finals and perform well on tests. You can chew sugar-free peppermint gum or get a bag of peppermints to snack on before you start studying and before your test. If you do not like the taste of peppermint, light peppermint oil or buy peppermint lotion.

3. Drink water: Energy drinks will NOT work. You will feel the energy for maybe the first two hours, then after that third hour you will crash because they are filled with sugar. Water actually replenishes your body and keeps you hydrated.

4. Go to the gym: Exercising helps relieve stress. During finals, the Student Recreation Center is open and free to students. Take an hour away from studying and run on the treadmill, take a drop-in fitness class or run on the indoor track. Do something so your body can function and get its second wind.

5. Organize what you are going to study: With finals, most professors give you a study guide to work on. Set aside two hours for each class and break down the study guide. That way, you have set times to study and you can save on some sleep since you are organized.

6. Eat breakfast: We learned in elementary school that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Do not go to Denny’s on Nutwood Avenue and get a Grand Slam; eat oatmeal or Cream of Wheat with a piece of fruit, something light and filling, so you do not feel sluggish during exams.

7. Naptime: Yes, we hated naptime when we were 9, but naps actually help. Take 15 to 20-minute naps every three hours. When you awake you will feel refreshed and be able to focus better instead of focusing on your exhaustion.

8. Study groups: If you cannot study by yourself, study with a buddy or group. It helps for time and allows you to be in a comfortable setting while discussing a particular topic and to find answers together.

9. Drink green tea: If you are not in the mood for water, green tea is healthy for you and gives you energy. Green tea contains 0.06 mg of caffeine, according to BenefitsofGreentea.info, which is suitable to have and not have the crash that coffee would give you.

10. Do not get comfortable: While studying, do not have the heater on or cuddle underneath a blanket. When you study in your bed or on a couch you will become cozy and eventually become sleepy. Get out of your comfort zone and study on a desk, table or something otherwise not fluffy.

About Jessica Mc Coy