Titan legend talks the chalk

Bruce Bowen makes his speech at the University Village Dining Hall just north of CSUF. Photo by Mark Samala/Daily Titan.

Cal State Fullerton graduate and former San Antonio Spur Bruce Bowen was the guest speaker at the Titans’ men’s basketball chalk talk Saturday, Jan. 22.

Known for his defensive tenacity in the NBA, where he routinely guarded stars like Kobe Bryant and Dwayne Wade, Bowen went over how he was so successful. He also spoke about his time as a Titan and how he wants to give back to the school that started it all. He likes the direction the university and men’s basketball program are headed in.

“Having the opportunity to come back and see where I was at one point, looking at how the university has changed so much, they always talk about how things change and get better in life as you move on. This university has definitely gotten a lot better,” Bowen said.

Bowen had a long road ahead of him after his four years as a letter winner for the Titans. Undrafted out of CSUF, Bowen started his career in France where he bounced around, and even played in the Continental Basketball Association here in America.

In the 1997-98 NBA season, Bowen was finally able to make a roster, signing with the Boston Celtics. After bouncing around from team-to-team, Bowen finally got his big break in the 2000-01 season when he played in all 82 games for the Miami Heat and was named as a second-team all-defensive unit selection.

Prior to the 2001-02 season, Bowen was signed by the San Antonio Spurs where he became a starter in each of his 59 games played. He maintained this position by playing terrific defense, becoming an all-NBA defensive first-team selection five times, and second team three times. Over that time he also finished runner-up to Ben Wallace for defensive player of the year twice.

The 13-year veteran of the NBA wants to help the Titan basketball program anyway he can. After winning three NBA rings with the Spurs, Bowen is now an ESPN analyst.

About Elliot Cook