Band spreads bad seeds with new album

For fans of: Slightly Stoopid, Sublime, Rebelution

It seemed that the standing room was all used up at the Tomorrow’s Bad Seeds sold-out listening show for their new album, Sacred For Sale, at The Roxy in Hollywood March 20.

“We’ve played The Roxy enough times before but this is our first time headlining,” bassist Andre Davis said.

Sacred For Sale is the band’s sophomore album and will be hitting store shelves everywhere May 25.

The bands Sand Section and B-Foundation opened for the Bad Seeds before the headliners took the stage.

The crowd’s anticipation to hear the new tracks was intense; before the Seeds came on, the curtain was down and the crowd was chanting “T.B.S.” at a deafening volume. As the curtain rose, the audience gave an ear-shattering roar of excitement that filled the building.

“It’s so rad to see all these people showing us love,” Seeds frontman Moises Juarez said.

The Bad Seeds opened with a fan favorite from their debut album, Early Prayers, which was released in June 2007.

Even through the light layer of smoke, one could see the hundreds of people singing along with Juarez.

“People are singing our songs in cities that we’ve never even been to,” Davis said.

The Bad Seeds have been on the scene since 2004 and their success has been awe-inspiring.

“It’s been a great experience and we feel blessed to play with bands of such high caliber,” Juarez said.

They have played throughout the country with bands like Eek-a-Mouse, 311, The Wailers, Pennywise, Pepper and Steel Pulse.

“Playing for TBS is so cliché but it’s a dream,” said guitarist and vocalist Sean Chapman.“I mean, I’ve been playing for years and now I get to play with big-name bands.”

Drummer Pat Salmon, who hails from New Jersey, has only been a part of the band for a couple of months.

The sound of TBS is a mix of reggae, rock, punk, soul and hip-hop. Each song is different than the next and all are powerful.

Their performance was electrifying and full of fun, dedication, love and life that poured excitement off the stage and into the crowd.

Not only are the Seeds outstanding musicians and entertainers, but they are also versatile entrepreneurs. The band started UrbanTone Records to help “Get the seed out!” Now the band is tearing through the country and TBS’s music is catching like wildfire.

The song “Love Street” from their first album hit number three on radio stations in Hawaii and grew to be a hit through all the islands.

Sacred For Sale hasn’t even hit the shelves, but its songs are already a hit. Their Myspace.com page has clips of a few of the tracks off of the new album for fans to preview. The new songs were posted over a span of a few weeks, once a week.

Their single “Slow Down” off of the new album  has over 4,000 plays on Myspace and is already a hit at live performances.

“It comes down to growing out of ourselves and utilizing the talent that we all have and trying to make it a little bit more from all angles,” guitarist Matt McEwan said. “We’re comprising and meshing it all together and it’s working for us right now.”

“The new album is from the heart and if it’s from the heart, then it’s right and that’s what this album is,” Chapman said. “That’s why it’s called Sacred For Sale ’cause in a sarcastic way it’s saying that we put our hearts into this and it’s not worth just giving it away.”

TBS will be touring throughout he U.S. and is looking forward to the release of Sacred For Sale.

“I hope the ride never ends,” Juarez said. “This is like a new beginning.”

About James Gobee