Archers of CSUF take aim at Titan Stadium

By Cesar Gonzalez
Daily Titan Staff Writer

Michael Melin, 18, fires off an arrow at the Archers of CSUF practice. The archery club meets every Friday and Saturday night at Titan Stadium. The archers provide bows for beginners who don’t have their own equipment and want to participate. Photo by Ron Fu.

The archer takes his place on a soccer field. About 10 yards away are five targets – his goals.
He is relaxed and focused, ready to take aim and hopefully hit a bullseye.

Archers of CSUF, Cal State Fullerton’s archery club, was started in 2005 by Brent Ferguson, the first president of the club, Laura Wakim, former secretary and barebow shooter for the club, and Veronica Purpura, a member and designer of the club’s logo and flyers.

They got people interested in the club by participating in Cal State Fullerton Day and Discoverfest.
Purpura took the initiative to start early recruitment by motivating people to join the club.

The club already had the necessary equipment; they just had to establish themselves in order to be able to practice on the soccer field.

They accomplished this by winning numerous competitions, medals and awards such as the Titan Pride Spirit Award on CSUF Day.

Purpura got involved with archery in high school and took classes at Hi-Tech Archery in Fullerton.

The club’s goals for this semester are to “recruit, join and have fun,” Purpura said.

Karl Keranen, the volunteer coach for the club, has been shooting archery since 1988 and has been shooting competitively since 1994.

He said the club shoots different types of styles including: recurve, Olympic, compound bow and barebow, which is the most popular.

Coach Karl Keranen helps Brent Cone, 18, improve his stance during an Archers of CSUF club practice. Photo by Ron Fu.

The archery club focuses on two facets: recreational and competitive. The club’s president, Lucy Neiss, decided that the group should cater to both sides, Keranen said.

Competitive archers have opportunities to compete in large events next semester like the State Indoor Tournament in Tulare, Calif., which takes place in January.

A way in which the club is trying to encourage people to join is by putting out flyers and “trying to keep a high profile,” Keranen said.

Keranen gives free private lessons to people interested in the sport at a local archery range.

Gurpreet Singh, a freshman biochemistry major, recently joined the archery club.

He originally heard about the club from his friend Mindy.

“It’s quite relaxing once you hit the target. It’s satisfying,” Singh said, adding that archery helps him gain control of his muscles and helps him focus.

The club meets Fridays and Saturdays on the soccer field from 6 – 9 p.m.

If you are interested in joining either for recreation or for competition, you can e-mail the club at Archery.CSUF@gmail.com.

About Cesar Gonzalez